Thursday, November 27, 2008

Too Busy Being Optimistic to Attend Panic Party

Finally, someone who isn't all doom and gloom about the world. Thank-you Charles Adler. A number of weeks ago I decided to swear off reading about, Tweeting about, "liking", and otherwise supporting all of the panic that the media and others are spreading about the fate of the world economy. Why are we panicking and dwelling on only the bad things? Don't get me wrong, many people are in really tough spots. Does that mean that their lives are over? Does that mean there is nothing good happening. I often find it is the people who have the fewest number of "things" that are the best at finding something good in just about anything. Adler brings up an OECD report that has a number of reasons for Canadians to be optimistic. I had a hard time finding anything on the internet that actually discussed the positive aspects of the report. Instead of saying Canada's real GDP growth will be down next year by a miniscule .485% and that in 2010 it will grow by 2.131%, the press reports that in the first quarter of next year, growth will be down by 1.4%.  How much front-page news the last few days has been given to hilighting the fact that retail sales have been better than expected, or that auto sales are actually up in Canada, or the the stock markets have been on a tear this week? It's all about continuing the panic and getting news sales. We all know that bad news sells better than good news.

So, I'm going to stay positive and live every day for what it is; sure my RRSP's suck at the moment, but I have a family that loves me, a place to live, food on my table, a job that I like, and a car to get me places. I live in one of the best cities in the world in one of the best countries in the world, the sun is shining and the sky is blue. In the spirit of American Thanksgiving I have plenty to be thankful about and I don't need the media telling me why I shouldn't be.

1 comment:

randy said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387@gmail.com